Connecticut: Access Health CT extends COVID-19 Special Enrollment Period deadline out to April 17th
Just yesterday I noted that Access Health CT, Connecticut's ACA exchange, was reminding residents that the deadline for their COVID-19 Special Enrollment Period was coming up today.
Moments ago, as I was expecting, they bumped that deadline out by another two weeks:
Access Health CT Extends New Special Enrollment Period For The Uninsured
- The new deadline for uninsured Connecticut residents to enroll in health insurance plans through Access Health CT is extended until Friday, April 17, 2020.
- The Access Health CT New Special Enrollment Period has been extended through Friday, April 17, 2020 for uninsured Connecticut residents to enroll in a health insurance plan.
- The only way to sign up for this New Special Enrollment Period is by calling 1-855-365-2428.
- Individuals who experience a Qualifying Life Event, such as loss of coverage due to job change or job loss, can ALWAYS enroll online and all help is free.
- Customers that are recently unemployed and lost health insurance due to job loss, need to verify information or have questions about IRS 1095 tax forms, can visit AccessHealthCT.com for faster service.
HARTFORD, Conn. (April 2, 2020)—Access Health CT (AHCT) today announced the deadline for the New Special Enrollment Period for uninsured Connecticut residents to enroll in health insurance plans through AHCT is extended to Friday, April 17, 2020. Connecticut residents must be lawfully present in the United States, and not incarcerated to be eligible. The effective date of coverage for anyone who enrolls during this extension period will be May 1, 2020. Anyone who enrolls before the end of the day Thursday, April 2, 2020 will have a coverage effective date of April 1, 2020.
The only way to sign up for this New Special Enrollment Period is by calling 1-855-365-2428. Individuals who experience a Qualifying Life Event (e.g. loss of coverage due to job change or unemployment) or qualify for Medicaid/Children’s Health Program (CHIP), can ALWAYS enroll online, in-person or over the phone and all help is free.
“Over the last two weeks, nearly 1,400 residents have been able to enroll in affordable, high-quality health insurance plans thanks to a new special enrollment period offered by Access Health CT,” Governor Lamont said. “I applaud Access Health, the health insurance carriers, and the Connecticut Insurance Department for working together to extend that enrollment period so additional residents can sign up for health insurance. No Connecticut resident should have to worry that COVID-19 or another health complication will compromise their financial security.”
“We know there are still many Connecticut residents who need our assistance. I am deeply appreciative of the efforts by the Governor, carriers, Connecticut Insurance Department, and others to make sure more people have access to health insurance during the COVID-19 crisis,” said Access Health CT Chief Executive Officer, James Michel. “We are here to help and are extending the New Special Enrollment Period to accommodate the needs of Connecticut residents.”
“Every resident who needs comprehensive health insurance should be able to get it,” said Insurance Commissioner Andrew N. Mais. “The extended Special Enrollment period will allow anyone looking to enroll in a health plan the opportunity to find quality coverage and avoid costly medical bills.”
“We applaud Access Health CT for extending this special open enrollment period,” said Eric Galvin, President of ConnectiCare. “Just as Access Health CT, we’re doing everything we can to support our members through this pandemic including extending the grace period for premium payment, expanding telehealth services, and calling our most at-risk members to help them stay safe.”
“This is still an evolving situation here in Connecticut and we are continuing to partner with state officials to help protect the public’s health, promote expanded access to care and provide peace of mind for Connecticut residents,” said Jill Hummel, President of Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Connecticut.
Access Health CT also reminds customers to update their income as they, or members of their household, may be able to:
- Increase the financial help they qualify for or become eligible for increased cost sharing reductions to help pay for out-of-pocket expenses like deductibles, co-pays and co-insurance amounts.
- Change to a different insurance plan in a different metal tier, that may allow them to qualify for cost sharing reductions that help pay for out-of-pocket expenses like deductibles, co-pays and co-insurance amounts.
- Become eligible for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)/HUSKY Health.
Note: Be sure to report all changes to household income and size to Access Health CT within 30 days.
New Special Enrollment Period
- Who’s Eligible? ONLY qualified individuals who are Uninsured, lawfully present and not incarcerated.
- When can I enroll? Now through April 17, 2020.
- When will my coverage start? The effective date of coverage for enrollments from April 3-17 during the NEW Special Enrollment Period will be May 1, 2020.
- How can I enroll? PHONE ONLY: 1-855-365-2428 (TTY: 1-855-789-2428) 8AM – 5PM | Monday – Friday
Other information about this New Special Enrollment Period is available at: Learn.AccessHealthCT.com
Access Health CT reminds residents of the importance of maintaining their coverage throughout the year, and not just during this public health crisis. It is critical that uninsured individuals take advantage of this opportunity to protect themselves financially and ensure they have access to necessary services.