Maryland announces full COVID-19 Special Enrollment Period thru 4/15 in addition to "Easy Enroll" SEP
As I've noted before, Maryland is already offering a SEP for uninsured residents to #GetCovered when they file their state taxes by checking off a box, but today they went one step further and created an official Coronavirus SEP as well, which is open to any eligible uninsured residents whether they're utilizing the "check the box" tax form option or not:
Coronavirus emergency launches one-month special enrollment period
As part of the state’s overall response to the coronavirus, and in an effort to prioritize health and safety, Maryland Health Connection opened a new special enrollment period for uninsured Marylanders.
When will the special enrollment period begin?
- The coronavirus emergency special enrollment period will begin Monday, March 16, and end Wednesday, April 15. Coverage will begin April 1, 2020, regardless of when a health plan is selected during that time period.
How do I enroll?
- To enroll, you can visit MarylandHealthConnection.gov or download the free “Enroll MHC” mobile app. When enrolling, you should request or select “Coronavirus Emergency Special Enrollment Period.”
- This enrollment period is for new enrollments of uninsured Marylanders who are eligible, not an opportunity for currently enrolled consumers to change plans.
Can I get help enrolling?
Free consumer assistance is available by calling 855-642-8572 weekdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Deaf and hard of hearing use Relay. Help is available in more than 200 languages.
We encourage you to follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Maryland Department of Health (MDH) for all health-related coronavirus questions.
What do I need to apply:
- Social Security numbers (or document numbers for legal immigrants)
- Proof of citizenship or immigration status
- Tax returns for previous years
- Employer and income info (pay stubs, W-2 forms)
- Policy numbers for any current health insurance
- Information about any job-related coverage you or someone in your household is eligible for
Is Coronavirus covered under a Maryland Health Connection plan or Medicaid?
- Yes. Health insurance companies are required to waive cost-sharing, including lab fees, co-payments, coinsurance, and deductibles for any visit to test for coronavirus at a doctor’s office, urgent care center, or emergency room.
Can I qualify for the Coronavirus Emergency Special Enrollment Period even if I’m not sick?
- Yes. All eligible, uninsured Marylanders may qualify for this emergency special enrollment period.