Access Health CT becomes 9th State-based Exchange to offer COVID-19 SEP
Access Health CT Announces A New Special Enrollment Period For Uninsured Connecticut Residents
AS COVID-19 THREATENS PUBLIC HEALTH, ACCESS HEALTH CT ANNOUNCES A NEW SPECIAL ENROLLMENT PERIOD FOR UNINSURED CONNECTICUT RESIDENTS
New Special Enrollment Period starts Thursday, March 19 and ends Thursday, April 2
- Uninsured individuals can sign up for health insurance coverage through Access Health CT during the NEW Special Enrollment Period from Thursday, March 19 – Thursday, April 2, 2020.
- The effective date of coverage for all enrollments during the NEW Special Enrollment Period will be April 1, 2020.
- The only way to sign up for this NEW Special Enrollment Period is by calling 855-365-2428.
- Individuals who experience a Qualifying Life Event (e.g. loss of coverage due to job change or unemployment) or qualify for Medicaid/Children’s Health Program (CHIP), can ALWAYS enroll online, in-person or over the phone and all help is free.
HARTFORD, Conn. (March 18, 2020)—With the exceptional circumstances due to the spread of the coronavirus, COVID-19, Access Health CT(AHCT) today announced that a NEW Special Enrollment Period will be available to uninsured Connecticut residents to sign up for a health insurance plan offered by either of AHCT’s two insurance carriers. There are other carriers who do not participate in the exchange who are working to provide reinsurance to make this special enrollment period possible.
The New Special Enrollment Period starts Thursday, March 19 and ends on Thursday, April 2, 2020. Connecticut residents must be lawfully present in the United States, and not incarcerated to be eligible. The coverage for those who enroll during this New Special Enrollment Period will start on April 1, 2020.
“No Connecticut resident should worry that testing or treatment will compromise their financial security. I thank each of Connecticut’s health insurance carriers on the exchange, Anthem and ConnectiCare, and Access Health CT CEO James Michel for working with our administration to again offer health insurance to the uninsured during this new Special Enrollment Period,” Governor Lamont said. “I thank Commissioner Mais and his team at the Insurance Department for their leadership working with our partners in the health insurance industry to assure that we are doing everything we can to provide access to health insurance coverage.”
“We are experiencing a moment in history that requires flexibility and innovative ways to access healthcare,” said Chief Executive Officer at Access Health CT, James Michel. “Since inception, Access Health CT offers year-round enrollment opportunities through Special Enrollments to individuals who experience a Qualifying Life Event, like loss of coverage due to job change. By implementing this new Special Enrollment, we are focusing on the uninsured so they can get covered and stay healthy.”
“The goal is to slow the spread of the virus and reduce its cost to all Connecticut residents. That means everyone who needs it should get access to covered services and be tested and treated if necessary,” said Insurance Commissioner Andrew N. Mais. “Insurance will help make that possible. It will also help those who need treatment avoid burdensome medical bills.”
“ConnectiCare continues to step up to serve the people of Connecticut,” said Eric Galvin, President of ConnectiCare. “This is an opportunity for Connecticut to lead the nation by bringing the entire health ecosystem together to focus on what’s best for our people.”
“As our communities continue to implement measures to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and care for those impacted, we remain committed to providing greater access to care for more people in Connecticut. It is very important that those who are uninsured take advantage of this special enrollment period. Having health coverage will be important for those seeking treatment for this virus,” said Jill Hummel, President of Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Connecticut. “We will continue to be a partner with the state and public officials as we work together to protect public health and provide both access to care and peace of mind for Connecticut residents.”
New Special Enrollment Period
- Who’s Eligible? ONLY qualified individuals who are Uninsured, lawfully present and not incarcerated.
- When can I enroll? From March 19, 2020 through April 2, 2020.
- When will my coverage start? The effective date of coverage for all enrollments during the NEW Special Enrollment Period will be April 1, 2020.
- How can I enroll? PHONE ONLY: 1-855-365-2428 (TTY: 1-855-789-2428) • 8AM – 5PM | Monday – Friday
Other information about this New Special Enrollment Period is available at: Learn.AccessHealthCT.com.
Access Health CT reminds residents of the importance of maintaining their coverage throughout the year, and not just during this public health crisis. It is critical that uninsured individuals take advantage of this opportunity to protect themselves financially and ensure they have access to necessary services.