Maine: CoverME.gov reports 58.3K QHP enrollees thru 11/14, up 7% y/y so far
Plan Selection Snapshot
The Maine Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Office of the Health Insurance Marketplace (OHIM) will release biweekly updates on plan selections through CoverME.gov, Maine’s Health Insurance Marketplace.
Plan selections provide a snapshot of activity by new and returning consumers who have selected a plan for 2024. “Plan selections” become “enrollments” once consumers have paid their first monthly premium to begin insurance. These numbers are subject to change as consumers may modify or cancel plans after their initial selection.
The deadline to select a plan for coverage beginning January 1, 2024 is December 15, 2023. Consumers who select a plan between December 16, 2023 and January 16, 2024 will have coverage beginning February 1, 2024.
CoverME.gov Activity Through November 14, 2023
- 58,254 Mainers have selected affordable health coverage for Plan Year 2024, which includes:
- 1,195 new consumers
- 6,456 returning consumers who have actively re-enrolled
- 50,603 consumers automatically re-enrolled
- 78% qualify for financial help
- 35,662 users have visited CoverME.gov
- 5,076 calls and 992 chats have been received by The Consumer Assistance Center
- 1,999 outbound calls have been made by The Consumer Assistance Center
- 10,675 people have used the Plan Compare Tool, which allows users to compare plans side-by-side with regard to plan features, benefits, provider networks, prescription drug coverage, and total out-of-pocket costs, including premiums, deductibles, and estimated costs for services
I can't do a true apples-to-apples comparison to last year at this point since the 58.3K figure includes auto-renewals from last year (there weren't any auto-renewals in fall 2022 because that was the first year Maine's state-based exchange was in operation). However, if I only include new and actively renewing enrollees, I get:
- 2024 OEP: 7,651 in 14 days, or 547/day
- 2023 OEP: 6,140 in 12 days, or 512/day
So, on a per-day basis, enrollments are up 6.8% so far.