New York: @NYStateofHealth Urges New Yorkers to Act Now and Start the New Year with Health Coverage
- Consumers Must Renew or Enroll by December 15 for January 1 Coverage
- Expanded Tax Credits and Financial Assistance Available for 2022 Plans
- Customer Service Hours Extended to Help New Yorkers Enroll
ALBANY, N.Y. (December 7, 2021) - NY State of Health, the state’s official health plan Marketplace, today announced that the deadline is fast approaching for New Yorkers who want coverage in a Qualified Health Plan (QHP) by the start of the 2022 New Year. Consumers must renew or enroll in a health plan through NY State of Health by December 15, 2021, for coverage starting January 1, 2022. The Open Enrollment Period for QHPs started November 16 and will run until January 31, 2022.
“Health insurance coverage is more important than ever, and the Marketplace remains committed to getting uninsured New Yorkers covered,” said NY State of Health Executive Director Danielle Holahan. “This year, more consumers have access to quality, affordable health plans including access to increased financial assistance. We encourage anyone who may need health insurance to contact us now to compare plans, apply for financial help and enroll by December 15 for health insurance beginning January 1.”
This Open Enrollment Period, more people than ever qualify for financial assistance for health insurance. Through the American Rescue Plan, more New Yorkers, including higher income individuals and families, are now eligible for increased federal tax credits, lowering the cost of premiums for 2022 health plans. In 2021, over 60 percent of QHP enrollees qualified for financial assistance.
There are many options and resources available for consumers to get enrollment help and find a plan that best fits their budget and health care needs. 2022 QHP plans are listed in the Compare and Plans Estimate Cost tool where options may be viewed side by side. Consumers can also watch this video to learn how to compare plans.
New Yorkers can enroll in a health plan in the following ways:
- Online at nystateofhealth.ny.gov
- With the help of a certified enrollment assistor
- By calling the Customer Service Center at 1-855-355-5777 which is open:
- Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Extended customer service hours during the 2022 Open Enrollment Period are as follows:
- Saturday, December 11, 2021, 9:00 am - 4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, December 15, 2021, 8:00 am – 10:00 p.m.
NY State of Health representatives will be available at many events across the state to educate New Yorkers about the Marketplace, and to enroll consumers in health plans. A list of locations is available on the events map.
Key Dates and Deadlines:
- November 16, 2021-January 31, 2022: Open Enrollment Period for Qualified Health Plans
- December 15, 2021: Last day to renew or enroll for coverage beginning January 1, 2022
- January 31, 2022: Last day to enroll for 2022 QHP coverage. New Yorkers cannot enroll in a QHP after Jan. 31, 2022 unless they qualify for a Special Enrollment Period
In addition to QHPs, NY State of Health offers eligible New Yorkers the opportunity to enroll into the Essential Plan, Medicaid or Child Health Plus, available year-round. The Essential Plan now offers coverage with no monthly premium, no annual deductible, and dental and vision coverage for all enrollees at no extra cost. As always, the Essential Plan includes comprehensive benefits, free preventive care, and low copayments.
For enrollment reminders and updates, consumers may opt in for text messages from NY State of Health by texting ‘START’ to 1-866-988-0327, on their NY State of Health online account or with a Certified Enrollment Assistor. Learn about Terms of service here.