New York: Over 166K QHPs + 710K BHPs thru 12/06
When NY State of Health released their first Open Enrollment update a week or so ago, they reported over 140,000 QHP selections in the first 28 days (up 13% vs. the same point last year) and 700,000 BHP enrollees (which is 5% more than they enrolled in all of last year's open enrollment period).
- Enrollment in Qualified Health Plans and Essential Plan Reaches Nearly 900,000
- December 15th is the Deadline to Enroll for January Coverage
- New Yorkers Urged to Enroll Now
ALBANY, N.Y. (December 7, 2017) - NY State of Health, the state’s official health plan Marketplace, today announced enrollment in Qualified Health Plans (QHP) and the Essential Plan have reached nearly 900,000—continuing to outpace enrollment at the same point last year by 13 percent.
“The swift pace of enrollment shows that New Yorkers want the protection that health plans offered through NY State of Health provide,” said NY State of Health Executive Director Donna Frescatore. “Consumers new to the Marketplace, or those who are scheduled to renew their coverage for 2018, should avoid the last-minute rush and pick a plan as soon as possible, but no later than December 15th for coverage starting January 1st.”
NY State of Health enrollment highlights as of December 6, 2017:
- More than 66,000 new enrollees already have enrolled in 2018 coverage, including over 23,000 consumers who have enrolled in a QHP and nearly 43,000 who have enrolled in the Essential Plan.
- Total QHP and EP enrollment stands at 876,000, with over 166,000 consumers enrolled in a QHP for 2018 and nearly 710,000 in the Essential Plan.
Open Enrollment in a QHP continues through January 31st, 2018. Consumers must enroll by December 15th, 2017 for coverage beginning January 1st, 2018. Enrollment in the Essential Plan is open all year.
84% of the QHP enrollees are renewals, the other 14% are new to the exchange.
According to the CMS Public Use File, New York enrolled 144,058 people through December 3rd last year, putting them up 15%; the press release says it's up 13% which sounds about right if you tack on the 3 missing days.
NY's final 2017 enrollment tally was 242,880 QHPs, so they've reached 68% of that figure so far, and they had 665,318 Basic Health Plan enrollees, which they're already nearly 7% ahead of.