Grim #COVID19 Data: Nightly update of the sick and the dead.
Lately pretty much everything I'm analyzing and writing about is the ongoing horror of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Since tracking and analyzing data is what I'm best known for...and since I'm mostly stuck sitting in front of the computer all day whether I like it or not these days anyway...I've started my own daily COVID-19 spreadsheet. I've added a big yellow banner at the top of the site which links to it.
Again, I'm not the one who compiled the data itself--many other teams with far better resources than I have are doing that--but I'm pulling their work together and adding some additional context, such as per capita info by state/territory.
I also include the partisan lean of every state, which may sound cynical or tasteless...unless you've been paying attention to the news of late. That's exactly how Donald Trump sees it; he's literally giving red states whatever resources they ask for (or more) while deliberately starving the blue states (or even some purple states if their governors aren't "nice" enough to him) or giving them scraps.
With that in mind, here's this evening's main numbers. Be warned, they aren't pretty:
- 2.36 million Americans have been tested to date (7.1 per thousand)
- 33,500 more Americans tested positive today.
- Over 468,000 Americans have tested positive to date (1.4 per thousand)
- Another 1,900 Americans died today.
- Nearly 16,700 Americans have died to date.
- The U.S. mortality (based on positive tests) is 3.6%.
- The U.S. death toll increased another 54% over the past 3 days.
- Over 391,000 New Yorkers have been tested to date (2% of the population)
- 10,300 more New Yorkers tested positive today.
- Over 161,500 New Yorkers have tested positive to date (8.3 per thousand)
- Another 800 New Yorkers died today.
- Over 7,000 New Yorkers have died to date.
- New York's mortality (based on positive tests) is 4.4%.
- New York's death toll increased another 48.5% over the past 3 days.
Michigan (my home state):
- Nearly 53,000 Michiganders have been tested to date (5.3 per thousand)
- Another 1,100 Michiganders tested positive today.
- Over 21,500 Michiganders have tested positive to date.
- Another 117 Michiganders died today.
- Nearly 1,100 Michiganders have died to date.
- Michigan's mortality (based on positive tests) is 5.0%.
- Michigan's death toll increased by 48% over the past three days.
As I noted yesterday, I've "downgraded" my 3-day increase reporting from states/territories which have increased 100% or more to those which have "only" increased by 50% or more. While this is still ugly, it's still better than doubling cases or deaths, so there's that...
- Five states increased their positive cases by 50% or more over the past 3 days:
- Rhode Island
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- The following states/territories saw their death tolls increase by 50% or more over the past 3 days (bold = triple digits)
- New Hampshire
- N. Mariana Islands
- Puerto Rico
- New Jersey
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- North Carolina
- South Dakota