Vermont announces month-long #COVID19 Special Enrollment Period
This Just In via Vermont Health Connect...
The State of Vermont has made temporary changes to assure that Vermonters have access to health insurance. Please visit https://t.co/dXz4Cd2yQm for more information
— VT Health Connect (@VTHealthConnect) March 20, 2020
OK...that's about as vague and understated as you can get. Clicking the link doesn't make it any more obvious:
Stay informed and protect your health.
- For up-to-date guidance regarding COVID-19, Vermonters can check the Vermont Department of Health webpage.
- Vermonters can also dial 2-1-1 for information or if you have questions.
- Visit the CDC webpage for regular updates and guidance.
- Important Pharmacy Information. Changes to the Medicaid prescription drug benefits program effective 3/18/2020.
- Vermont Medicaid Payments for Telephonic Services Furnished During the Emergency Response to COVID-19. (3/18/2020)
- Due to the COVID-19 emergency, Vermont will be temporarily waiving financial verifications required for those seeking to enroll in health insurance; Extending out coverage periods until after the emergency ends; Suspending certain terminations of health insurance; Offering a Special Enrollment Period (1 month) for those who do not currently have health insurance to enroll in a qualified health plan and receive premium and cost-sharing assistance, if eligible. (Eligible Vermonters can continue to apply for, and enroll in, Medicaid at any time.) (3/20/2020)
Fortunately, when you visit the actual Vermont Health Connect home page, the same announcement is posted.
Until now, besides the federal ACA exchange (HealthCare.Gov), Vermont was one of only two state-based ACA exchanges not offering a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) in light of the Coronavirus crisis besides Idaho (the SEP being offered by the District of Columbia are also open to anyone who's uninsured though it's technically not COVID-19 specific).
Update 4/13: Apparently Vermont's "one month" SEP is actually not quite "one month" after all; this message on their website states the deadline as actually being April 17th:
Due to the COVID-19 emergency, Vermont Health Connect has opened a Special Enrollment Period until April 17, 2020. During this time, any uninsured Vermonter can sign up for a Qualified Health Plan through Vermont Health Connect. Qualified families can also get financial help paying for coverage.. Please call us at 1-855-899-9600 to learn more.