NY State of Health reminds New Yorkers: December 15th is the enrollment deadline to start the new year w/health insurance
- Consumers Must Renew or Enroll by December 15 for January 1 Coverage
- Several Events Scheduled Statewide with Enrollment Assistors on Site to Help Consumers Enroll
- Expanded Federal Tax Credits Continue for 2023 Health Plans
ALBANY, NY. (December 14, 2022) – NY State of Health, the state’s official health plan Marketplace, today announced the December 15 deadline is quickly approaching for New Yorkers who want their coverage in a Qualified Health Plan (QHP) effective by January 1, and urges consumers to take action now to avoid a gap in health insurance coverage.
“Since the start of the pandemic, enrollment through NY State of Health has continued to see historically high levels of participation as more New Yorkers choose affordable coverage to protect their health,” NY State of Health Executive Director Danielle Holahan said. “With COVID-19 and flu viruses widespread throughout the State, being insured is more important than ever. NY State of Health offers quality health insurance plans in every county, and personal, expert assistance to access federal tax credits and make it easier to enroll. We encourage consumers to enroll today.”
The NY State of Health website has had a steady stream of high traffic leading up to the December 15 deadline, with nearly 1.5 million page views and approximately 83,000 website users on average per day. In addition, more than 200,000 calls have been answered by Customer Service since the start of the Open Enrollment Period, which can help consumers in their preferred language.
Certified enrollment assistors will be available at several events throughout the state, to help new and returning consumers compare health insurance options, access federal financial assistance, and enroll in a plan that best covers their health care needs. Events will be taking place in the upcoming months, and include outreach at food pantries, pharmacies, job fairs, winter carnivals and more. A complete list and event details can be found on the NY State of Health event page.
Additionally, the Marketplace has been reaching out to New Yorkers with a public education campaign that launched in early November. NY State of Health ads have been playing on digital, print, TV, radio, and out of home platforms in English, Spanish and Mandarin, to educate and remind consumers about the importance of health insurance.
Consumers who miss the December 15 deadline still have a chance to enroll in a QHP for coverage later in the year. NY State of Health will remain open for enrollment for the duration of the federal public health emergency.
Open Enrollment Period / QHP Coverage Start Date
- Before or on December 15, 2022 / January 1, 2023
- December 16, 2022 – January 15, 2023 / February 1, 2023
- January 16 – February 15, 2023 / March 1, 2023
NY State of Health offers QHPs from 12 different insurers in 2023, available in four metal tiers:platinum, gold, silver and bronze. Eligible consumers may also enroll in the Essential Plan, Medicaid or Child Health Plus, which are open all year. All plans through the Marketplace provide free preventive care, such as routine office visits and recommended screenings. They also cover doctor’s visits, hospital stays, emergency care, maternity and newborn care, mental health and substance abuse disorder services, prescription drugs, rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices, laboratory services, preventive and wellness services, chronic disease management and pediatric dental and vision.
Enhanced subsidies enacted through the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) and extended in August through the Inflation Reduction Act, remain available in 2023. These tax credits have lowered the cost of insurance for many New Yorkers, including higher-income consumers. More than 60 percent of QHP enrollees are not expected to see premium cost increases in 2023, and in some cases, may be able to find a better deal if they shop for a new plan.
There are several resources available to help consumers shop and compare plan options:
- Compare Plans and Estimate Cost Tool is available to view plan options side by side.
- Lists of plans by county are also available to help consumers learn what health and dental insurance plans will be available in their county in 2023.
- Plan selection resources are available in more than 20 different languages.
- Certified Enrollment Assistors can provide consumers with free step-by-step help through the enrollment process.
There are three ways to enroll in a health plan through the Marketplace:
- Call for free personalized help – where individuals are able to filter by location and preferred language.
- Call the NY State of Health Customer Service Center at 1-855-355-5777.
- Go online to nystateofhealth.ny.gov, and you can use the chat feature on the website to help complete your application, available during customer service center hours.