Grim COVID-19 Data: Nightly update of the sick and the dead.
As I noted a few days ago, lately 95% of what I'm analyzing and writing about is the ongoing horror of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Since tracking and analyzing data is what I'm best known for...and since I'm mostly stuck sitting in front of the computer all day whether I like it or not these days anyway...I've started my own daily COVID-19 spreadsheet. I've added a big yellow banner at the top of the site which links to it.
Again, I'm not the one who compiled the data itself--many other teams with far better resources than I have are doing that--but I'm pulling their work together and adding some additional context, such as per capita info by state/territory.
I also include the partisan lean of every state, which may sound cynical or tasteless...unless you've been paying attention to the news of late. That's exactly how Donald Trump sees it; he's literally giving red states whatever resources they ask for (or more) while deliberately starving the blue states (or even some purple states if their governors aren't "nice" enough to him) or giving them scraps.
With that in mind, here's this evening's main numbers. Be warned, they aren't pretty:
- 1.27 million Americans have been tested (3.8 per thousand)
- Nearly 30,000 newly confirmed cases today
- Nearly 245,000 confirmed cases to date (0.74 per thousand)
- 968 more Americans died today
- Over 6,000 Americans have died to date (0.018 per thousand)
- The U.S. mortality rate for COVID-19 so far is 2.5%
- Confirmed cases have increased by 50% over the past 3 days
- The U.S. death toll has increased by 93% over the past 3 days
- Nearly 240,000 New Yorkers have been tested (1.2% of the population)
- 9,100 newly confirmed cases today
- 93,000 confirmed cases to date (nearly 0.5% of the population)
- 319 more New Yorkers have died today
- Over 2,500 New Yorkers have died from COVID-19 to date (0.13 per thousand)
- New York's death toll has increased by 89% over the past 3 days
- Louisiana, Idaho and the Northern Mariana Islands all saw confirmed cases increase by 100% or more over the past 3 days
- 23 states/territories saw their death tolls rise by 100% or more over the past 3 days; I've bold-faced the ones in triple digits:
- Rhode Island
- New Jersey (from 198 to 537)
- North Carolina
- Michigan (from 184 to 417)
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- Puerto Rico