Grim COVID-19 Data: Nightly update of the sick and the dead.
Lately pretty much everything I'm analyzing and writing about is the ongoing horror of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Since tracking and analyzing data is what I'm best known for...and since I'm mostly stuck sitting in front of the computer all day whether I like it or not these days anyway...I've started my own daily COVID-19 spreadsheet. I've added a big yellow banner at the top of the site which links to it.
Again, I'm not the one who compiled the data itself--many other teams with far better resources than I have are doing that--but I'm pulling their work together and adding some additional context, such as per capita info by state/territory.
I also include the partisan lean of every state, which may sound cynical or tasteless...unless you've been paying attention to the news of late. That's exactly how Donald Trump sees it; he's literally giving red states whatever resources they ask for (or more) while deliberately starving the blue states (or even some purple states if their governors aren't "nice" enough to him) or giving them scraps.
With that in mind, here's this evening's main numbers. Be warned, they aren't pretty:
- Over 2 million Americans have now been tested for COVID-19 (6.2 per thousand)
- Another 33,000 Americans tested positive today.
- Over 400,000 Americans have tested positive to date (1.2 per thousand)
- Nearly 2,000 more Americans died of COVID-19 today alone.
- Over 12,800 Americans have died of COVID-19 to date (0.04 per thousand)
- Over the past 3 days: Total cases increased by 29% and the death toll increased by 52%.
- Over 340,000 New Yorkers have been tested (1.7% of the population)
- Another 10,400 New Yorkers tested positive today
- Over 142,000 New Yorkers have tested positive to date (7.3 per thousand)
- Another 731 New Yorkers died of COVID-19 today.
- Nearly 5,500 New Yorkers have died of COVID-19 to date.
Michigan (my home state):
- .Over 50,000 Michiganders have been tested (5 per thousand)
- Another 1,700 Michiganders tested positive today
- Nearly 19,000 Michiganders have tested positive to date (1.9 per thousand)
- Another 118 Michiganders died of COVID-19 today.
- 845 Michiganders have died of COVID-19 to date.
- Delaware again has the highest 3-day percentage increase in confirmed cases (+56%)
- South Dakota and West Virginia are the only states to see their 3-day death toll double or more, although Missouri and Maryland came close to doubling theirs.