Grim COVID-19 Data: Nightly update of the sick and the dead.
Lately pretty much everything I'm analyzing and writing about is the ongoing horror of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Since tracking and analyzing data is what I'm best known for...and since I'm mostly stuck sitting in front of the computer all day whether I like it or not these days anyway...I've started my own daily COVID-19 spreadsheet. I've added a big yellow banner at the top of the site which links to it.
Again, I'm not the one who compiled the data itself--many other teams with far better resources than I have are doing that--but I'm pulling their work together and adding some additional context, such as per capita info by state/territory.
I also include the partisan lean of every state, which may sound cynical or tasteless...unless you've been paying attention to the news of late. That's exactly how Donald Trump sees it; he's literally giving red states whatever resources they ask for (or more) while deliberately starving the blue states (or even some purple states if their governors aren't "nice" enough to him) or giving them scraps.
With that in mind, here's this evening's main numbers. Be warned, they aren't pretty:
- 1.9 million Americans have been tested (5.8 per thousand)
- Over 30,000 more Americans have tested positive today
- Over 336,000 Americans have tested positive (1.1 per thousand)
- Another 1,255 Americans died from COVID-19 today.
- 10,871 Americans have died from COVID-19 (0.3 per thousand).
- The national mortality based on positive tests is up to 3.0%
- Over 320,000 New Yorkers have been tested (1.6% of the population)
- Another 8,900 New Yorkers tested positive today
- 132,000 New Yorkers have tested positive (6.8 per thousand)
- Another 599 New Yorkers died today.
- 4,758 New Yorkers have died from COVID-19 (0.24 per thousand)
- New York's mortality based on positive tests is 3.6%.
Michigan (my home state):
- 47,000 Michiganders have been tested (4.7 per thousand)
- Another 1,500 Michganders tested positive today
- Over 17,200 Michiganders have tested positive (1.7 per thousand)
- Another 110 Michiganders died today.
- 727 Michiganders have died from COVID-19 (0.07 per thousand).
- Michigan's mortality based on positive tests is 4.2%.
- The five highest 3-day confirmed case increases are Delaware, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Rhode Island and Nebraska, though none increased more than 74%.
- Six states saw their death toll double or more over the past 3 days: Missouri, Iowa, Maryland, South Dakota, West Virginia and Alaska.