Grim COVID-19 Data: Nightly update of the sick and the dead.
Lately pretty much everything I'm analyzing and writing about is the ongoing horror of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Since tracking and analyzing data is what I'm best known for...and since I'm mostly stuck sitting in front of the computer all day whether I like it or not these days anyway...I've started my own daily COVID-19 spreadsheet. I've added a big yellow banner at the top of the site which links to it.
Again, I'm not the one who compiled the data itself--many other teams with far better resources than I have are doing that--but I'm pulling their work together and adding some additional context, such as per capita info by state/territory.
I also include the partisan lean of every state, which may sound cynical or tasteless...unless you've been paying attention to the news of late. That's exactly how Donald Trump sees it; he's literally giving red states whatever resources they ask for (or more) while deliberately starving the blue states (or even some purple states if their governors aren't "nice" enough to him) or giving them scraps.
With that in mind, here's this evening's main numbers. Be warned, they aren't pretty:
- 1.77 million Americans have been tested for COVID-19 (5.3 per thousand)
- Over 25,000 more Americans have tested positive today
- Over 336,000 Americans have now tested positive (1 per thousand)
- Another 1,165 Americans died of COVID-19 today.
- Over 9,600 Americans have died of COVID-19 to date (0.03 per thousand).
- Nationally, the death toll has increased by 58% over the past 3 days.
- Over 300,000 New Yorkers have been tested for COVID-19 (1.5% of the population)
- Another 8,200 New Yorkers tested positive today.
- Over 123,000 New Yorkers have tested positive (6.3 per thousand).
- Another 594 New Yorkers died of COVID-19 today.
- Over 4,100 New Yorkers have died of COVID-19 to date (0.2 per thousand)
- New York's death toll has risen 64% over the past 3 days.
Michigan (my home state):
- Over 45,000 Michiganders have been tested (4.6 per thousand)
- Another 1,500 Michiganders tested positive today.
- Over 15,700 Michiganders have now tested positive (1.6 per thousand).
- Another 77 Michiganders died of COVID-19 today.
- 617 Michiganders have died of COVID-19 to date (0.06 per thousand)
- Michigan's death toll has risen 48% in the past 3 days.
- Aside from the Northern Mariana Islands, the states with the highest mortality based on positive tests only are Kentucky, Vermont and Washington State at 4.7% , 4.3% and 4.2% respectively.
- Delaware saw the highest 3-day positive test increase (71%), for whatever that's worth.
- Nine states saw their death tolls increase by 100% or higher over the past 3 days: Hawaii, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Arizona, Iowa and Alaska.