Grim COVID-19 Data: Nightly update of the sick and the dead.
Lately pretty much everything I'm analyzing and writing about is the ongoing horror of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Since tracking and analyzing data is what I'm best known for...and since I'm mostly stuck sitting in front of the computer all day whether I like it or not these days anyway...I've started my own daily COVID-19 spreadsheet. I've added a big yellow banner at the top of the site which links to it.
Again, I'm not the one who compiled the data itself--many other teams with far better resources than I have are doing that--but I'm pulling their work together and adding some additional context, such as per capita info by state/territory.
I also include the partisan lean of every state, which may sound cynical or tasteless...unless you've been paying attention to the news of late. That's exactly how Donald Trump sees it; he's literally giving red states whatever resources they ask for (or more) while deliberately starving the blue states (or even some purple states if their governors aren't "nice" enough to him) or giving them scraps.
With that in mind, here's this evening's main numbers. Be warned, they aren't pretty:
- 1.4 million Americans have been tested (4 per 1,000)
- Over 32,000 more Americans have tested positive for COVID-19 today alone
- 277,000 Americans have now tested positive (0.8 per thousand)
- At least 1,321 more Americans have died from COVID-19 today alone
- At least 7,390 Americans have died from COVID-19 to date.
- The national mortality rate (based on confirmed cases) stands at 2.7%.
- The national death toll has increased 82% over the past 3 days.
- 271,000 New Yorkers have been tested (1.4% of the population)
- Over 10,000 more New Yorkers have tested positive today alone.
- Over 103,000 New Yorkers have tested positive (over 0.5%)
- Another 680 New Yorkers have died from COVID-19 today alone.
- Over 3,200 New Yorkers have died from COVID-19 to date.
That's over 200 more than died in the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
- Not sure how much of an upside this is, but confirmed cases "only" increased by 100% or more in the N. Mariana Islands over the past 3 days (though several states increased by 70% or more)
- The death toll climbed by 100% or higher in 16 states + Guam over the past 3 days (bold = triple digits):
- North Carolina
- New Jersey (from 267 to 646)
- Massachusetts (from 89 to 192)
- Illinois (from 99 to 210)
- South Dakota
- New Mexico
- New Hampshire
- West Virginia