New York: 254K QHPs thru 1/01; beats last year's total with 30 days left
New York State of Health just became the 6th State-Based Exchange (SBE) to officially surpass last year's final Open Enrollment Period total:
Press Release: NY State of Health Announces Qualified Health Plan Enrollment Tops January 31, 2018 Level
Jan 4, 2019
- Still Time to Enroll
- Consumer Demand for Affordable Coverage is High
ALBANY, N.Y. (January 4, 2019) - NY State of Health, New York’s official health plan Marketplace, today announced that as of January 1, 2019 more than 254,000 New Yorkers have enrolled in a Qualified Health Plan (QHP). With less than one month to go in the 2019 Open Enrollment Period, the number of QHP enrollees has already exceeded QHP enrollment at the end of the 2018 Open Enrollment Period.
“Enrollment through the Marketplace continues to climb at record levels, with more than 4.6 million enrolled across all programs,” said NY State of Health Executive Director Donna Frescatore. “Demand for quality, affordable coverage is high, and we are pleased to be able to offer New Yorkers the protection they need and the health coverage they deserve.”
Enrollment Highlights as of January 1, 2019:
- 254,240 consumers have enrolled in a Qualified Health Plan (QHP), exceeding enrollment levels at the end of open enrollment in 2018.
- Among the QHP enrollees, 22 percent are new and 78 percent are returning customers.
- Enrollment in the Essential Plan for lower-income New Yorkers is 773,952.
Last year's final QHP tally in NY was 253,102, which they're already ahead of by 1,138 people as of three days ago.
Interestingly, "Essential Plan" enrollment (aka NY's name for their Basic Health Plan program) has dropped slightly since the last update (it was 776,481 as of 12/15/18). There's any number of reasons for this including last-minute drop-outs or status changes, paperwork issues and so on. It's also possible a few people miscalculated their income and were instead redirected towards QHPs.
Financial assistance is available to most individuals who buy coverage through NY State of Health. Consumers who are eligible for a Qualified Health Plan with federal tax credits will see no or little increase in monthly costs in 2019. Free or low-cost bronze level Qualified Health Plans are available after tax credits for many lower-income New Yorkers. Bronze level Qualified Health Plans have a higher annual deductible than other metal level plans but provide free preventive care and protect against catastrophic costs.
NY State of Health’s advertising and outreach efforts will increase throughout January to ensure that New Yorkers know about the upcoming enrollment deadline. This will include more paid advertising, targeted email reminders to consumers, and participation in events across the state. Consumers can enroll in a health plan online at www.nystateofhealth.ny.gov, with the help of an in-person assistor or by calling the Customer Service Center at: 1-855-355-5777.
NY State of Health Customer Service Hours:
- Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m.
- Saturdays from 9:00 a.m.- 1:00 p.m.
- Extended hours:
- Saturday, January 12, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Saturday, January 26, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Enroll by January 15 for coverage starting February 1
- Enroll by January 31 for coverage starting March 1
- January 31, 2019 is the last day to enroll in Qualified Health Plan coverage for 2019