Grim #COVID19 Data: Nightly update of the sick and the dead.
Lately pretty much everything I'm analyzing and writing about is the ongoing horror of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Since tracking and analyzing data is what I'm best known for...and since I'm mostly stuck sitting in front of the computer all day whether I like it or not these days anyway...I've started my own daily COVID-19 spreadsheet. I've added a big yellow banner at the top of the site which links to it.
Again, I'm not the one who compiled the data itself--many other teams with far better resources than I have are doing that--but I'm pulling their work together and adding some additional context, such as per capita info by state/territory.
I also include the partisan lean of every state, which may sound cynical or tasteless...unless you've been paying attention to the news of late. That's exactly how Donald Trump sees it; he's literally giving red states whatever resources they ask for (or more) while deliberately starving the blue states (or even some purple states if their governors aren't "nice" enough to him) or giving them scraps.
With that in mind, here's this evening's main numbers. Be warned, they aren't pretty:
- 2.66 million Americans have been tested to date (8.0 per thousand)
- 30,000 more Americans have tested positive today
- 533,000 Americans have tested positive to date (1.6 per thousand)
- Another 1,800 Americans died today.
- Over 20,500 Americans have died to date.
- The national mortality rate (based on positive tests) is up to 3.9%.
- The national death toll "only" increased by 39% over the past 3 days (this is actually a positive sign!)
- 441,000 New Yorkers have been tested to date (2.3% of the population)
- Another 8,800 New Yorkers tested positive today
- 181,000 New Yorkers have tested positive to date (9.3 per thousand)
- Another 783 New Yorkers died today.
- Over 8,600 New Yorkers have died to date.
- New York's mortality rate (based on positive tests) is 4.8%.
- New York's death toll increased by 38% over the past 3 days.
Michigan (my home state):
- 76,000 Michiganders have been tested to date (7.6 per thousand)
- Another 1,200 Michiganders tested positive today
- 24,000 Michiganders have tested positive to date
- Another 111 Michiganders died today.
- Nearly 1,400 Michiganders have died to date.
- Michigan's mortality rate (based on positive tests) is the highest in the country* at 5.8%
- Michigan's death toll increased by 45% over the past 3 days.
(*aside from the Northern Mariana Islands)
- Only 2 states saw their confirmed cases increase by 50% or higher over the past 3 days: Rhode Island and South Dakota.
- Fourteen states & one territory saw their death tolls increase by 50% or more over the past 3 days (bold = triple digits):
- Puerto Rico
- North Dakota
- District of Columbia
- Rhode Island
- West Virginia