OFF-TOPIC: Deplorables by the Numbers
2018 MIDTERM ELECTION
Time: D H M S
In light of Hillary Clinton's "half of Trump supporters belong in the racist/bigot basket" brouhaha, I figured since I'm known as a data/numbers guy, let's do some quick math:
- According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the current total U.S. population is around 324 million people.
- Also according to the U.S. Census Bureau, during the 2014 election, there were appx. 142 million registered voters.
- Let's assume that the total number of registered voters is up to around 150 million even today.
- According to RealClearPolitics, at the moment, Donald Trump is supported by around 43% of registered voters.
- 43% of 150 million = 64.5 million people.
- Taking Clinton's "half" literally (which is of course unbelieveably silly), that's 50% of his supporters, or around 32.2 million registered voters.
- 32.2 million / 324 million = appx. 10% of the total U.S. population.
In other words, if you take Hillary Clinton's statement literally, she's effectively saying that 10% of the U.S. population is racist.
This is hardly a controversial statement.
If you turn that around, the real reason Trump supporters are getting all bent out of shape this morning (hey, I thought they hated it when people are too "PC"!) isn't so much that Hillary said that a lot of Trump supporters are racist...it's because she (effectively) said that pretty much all racists are Trump supporters.
This is also hardly a controversial statement.
That is all.